Friday, January 2, 2015

It's 2015...Time for Resolutions!

Okay, so I'm a day late. I've taken a look at my previous reviews, and I'm happy that I was able to fulfill each of my three goals which I set out for 2014. First, I was struggling with the long draw method. I made a couple more samples, then I spun a whole skein of yarn to get enough yardage for Mr. IT Guy's hat. I learned many things about how to spin it, and I learned many things as I progressed through the whole length. Here's the yarn and the blog post where I talk about it further:


Then I endeavored to gain a better mastery over my fiber tools. I spent more time with my blending board, but I do plan to get better acquainted with my hackle this year. Here are some more rolags I made with the blending board:

 

I started working with my pound of cashmere, making some luxury lace yarn with my Golding Ring Spindle. I'm way more comfortable using it now, but I'm still a little timid about combining it with other fibers. I'll work on that this year too.

I've started on my second mini skein already. And I have no idea what I'll use it for, but at least I've learned how to properly full cashmere yarn to get it light and fluffy.

So, onto this year's resolutions. A door of possibilities has opened for me suddenly. I had no idea that I would be staying in America beyond my holiday vacation trip. But now that I am, I can do much more with Expertly Dyed which I was unable to do before.This year will result in some big events.

First, I plan to go to the Midwest Fiber and Folk Art Festival this summer in Grayslake, IL. It's fun being a vendor, and I like being able to chat with everyone in person.

The second big thing I want to work on is making a published book. This is still a work in progress (I have more ideas to hash out), but I would like to have a companion book for spinning and knitting (and perhaps dyeing) which puts all in one place many of the things beginners ask me. And it will have lots of pictures. :) I will be self publishing this book, and I plan to have it available in e-format and physical format.

Then, there are some shorter-term projects I'd like to work on this year: 1) completing my list of YouTube videos; 2) free patterns (shrug, scarf, and one other); 3) ravelry group for Expertly Dyed. I will be able to keep up with making new batts, new colorways, handspun, and perhaps even inexpensive drop spindles for the Etsy shop. I'll definitely keep posting blogs and vlogs regularly...perhaps my vlogs will actually be daily! Who knows. :)

So, I think this will be an ambitious year for me. I'm looking forward to it since this is the first time ever I've been able to work on ED full-time, and in the right environment. It will be a nice semi-retirement (yes, I know, I'm going into semi-retirement again for school!) hurrah, and I'll be able to save more money for grad school. I've gotten too used to tasty food to go back to living on $25 of groceries per week! Thank you all for giving me a fantastic 2014, and I look forward to having a similarly wonderful 2015.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment